Monday, December 19, 2016

On delusions of grandeur

Image credit: Collin Knopp-Schwyn
I have to confess that I regularly find myself thinking that what I do is correct and righteous and all those things. I start with that assumption and wrap everything else around that idea and if an observation doesn't that assumption then I start questioning the observation. 

This results in a distorted view of reality. What I do is always right. A more microscopic way of saying “Our Country! In her intercourse with foreign nations may she always be in the right; but right or wrong, our country!”

It is similar to tribalism on a minute scale. In the grand scheme of things, we are so inconsequential that rightness and wrongness doesn't really matter to the universe. However, it matters to us. In our context, what we do and what we think are massively important.

The first thing I need to do is be aware that this happens. Then I can acknowledge it, be on the lookout for it, and take steps to correct it.

Image credit: Collin Knopp-Schwyn from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grandiose_delusions_cat_lion.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind.