Microsoft So.cl Service AgreementLast updated: March, 2012
This is a contract between you and Microsoft Corporation. This contract sometimes refers to Microsoft as "we," "us" or "our." This contract applies to the Microsoft So.cl service from Microsoft Research FUSE Labs and associated software, including all updates, support, and content that display or link to this contract and that you use while this contract is in force. This contract refers to all of these as the "service." You represent that you are at least 18 years of age or have attained the age of majority where you live, and that all information you supply is true and correct. Your use of the service may be subject to posted notices or codes of conduct. All such notices and codes of conduct are incorporated by reference into this contract.
Unless otherwise specified in the service, the service is intended for use within the United States only.
This service is a pre-release version. It may not work the way a final version of the service will. We may change it for the final version. We also may not release a final version.
You may use the service only if you agree to these terms. If you do not agree, do not use the service. This contract limits our liability and disclaims warranties for the service to the maximum extent permitted by law. Please read these sections of the contract carefully.
1. How You May Use the Service
In using the service, you must
- obey all applicable laws, rules and regulations,
- obey any codes of conduct or other notices we provide,
- obey the Microsoft Anti-Spam Policy at http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/anti-spam.aspx,
- keep any service account password secret, and
- promptly notify us if you learn of a security breach related to the service.
In using the service, you may not
- engage in, facilitate, or further unlawful conduct;
- use the service in any way that harms Microsoft or its advertisers, affiliates, resellers, distributors and/or vendors or any customer of ours or customer of our advertisers, affiliates, resellers, distributors or vendors;
- misrepresent the source of anything you post or upload, including impersonation of another individual or entity or ;
- use any portion of the service as a destination linked from any unsolicited bulk messages or unsolicited commercial messages ("spam");
- publish, post, upload, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, pornographic, profane, defamatory, obscene, indecent or unlawful information;
- use the service to threaten, stalk, defame, defraud, degrade, victimize or intimidate an individual or group of individuals for any reason; including on the basis of age, gender, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, race or religion; or incite or encourage anyone else to do so;
- upload, or otherwise make available, files that contain images, photographs, software or other material protected by intellectual property laws, including, by way of example, and not as limitation, copyright or trademark laws (or by rights of privacy or publicity) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consent to do the same;
- use any automated process or service to access and/or use the service (such as a BOT, a spider, periodic caching of information stored by Microsoft or "meta-searching");
- use any unauthorized means to modify or reroute, or attempt to modify or reroute, the service;
- damage, disable, overburden, or impair the service (or the network(s) connected to the service) or interfere with anyone's use and enjoyment of the service; or
- resell or redistribute the service, or any part of the service.
Only you may use your service account. You are responsible for all activity that takes place with your service account. You may not authorize any third party to access and/or use the service on your behalf except where Microsoft provides a mechanism for third parties to access the service on your behalf. In order to access the service, you will be asked to sign in with either your Windows Live or Facebook credentials. By providing such credentials, you agree to permit Microsoft to use such credentials for the purpose of authenticating your log in.
This service is not associated with or endorsed by Facebook, Inc. Your use of the Facebook service is subject to their respective terms of service and privacy policies. Your use of Windows Live ID is subject to the Microsoft Service Agreement (http://explore.live.com/microsoft-service-agreement?ref=none&mkt=en-us ) and the Microsoft Privacy Statement (http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/default.mspx).
4. Use of Bing Search Results
5. Service Software
If you use or receive software from us as part of the service ("Service Software"), its use is governed by one of two terms (the "License Terms"): If you're presented with a license for the Service Software, the terms of that license apply; if no license is presented to you, the terms of this contract apply. Unless applicable law gives you more rights, Microsoft reserves all other rights to the Service Software not expressly granted by Microsoft under the License Terms, whether by implication, estoppel or otherwise.
6. How We May Change This Contract
Microsoft may change this contract at any time without notice. If you do not stop using the service, your continued use of the service will be under the changed contract.
7. Changes to the Service; If We Cancel the Service
We may change the service or delete features at any time and for any reason . We may cancel or suspend your service at any time. Our cancellation or suspension may be without cause and/or without notice. Upon service cancellation, your right to use the service stops immediately. Once the service is cancelled or suspended, any data you have stored on the service might not be available to you later. You are responsible for taking necessary steps to back up your data.
8. Your Content
You may be able to submit content for use in connection with the service. You understand that Microsoft does not control or endorse the content that you and others post or provide on the service. Except for material that we license to you, we do not claim ownership of the content you post or provide on the service.
The service may include public areas available to the general public and shared areas available to others you or Microsoft have selected. If you share content with others on the service, in either public or shared areas, then you understand that others with whom you have shared content may use that content.
You understand that Microsoft may need and you hereby authorize Microsoft to use, modify, copy, distribute and display content posted on the service to the extent necessary to provide the service. This includes:
- storing and retrieving the content;
- making the content available to you and to those members of the public who have access;
- conforming to connecting networks' technical requirements; and
- conforming to the limitations and terms of the service.
You will not upload, post, transmit, transfer, distribute or facilitate distribution of any content (including text, images, sound, video, data, information or software) or otherwise use the service in a way that:
- depicts nudity of any sort including full or partial human nudity or nudity in non-human forms such as cartoons, fantasy art or manga.
- incites, advocates, or expresses pornography, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity, hatred, bigotry, racism, or gratuitous violence.
- misrepresents the source of anything you post or upload, including impersonation of another individual or entity.
- provides or creates links to external sites that violate this Agreement.
- includes content that is protected by intellectual property laws, rights of privacy or publicity, or any other applicable law unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents.
- is intended to harm or exploit minors in any way.
- is designed to solicit, or collect personally identifiable information of any minor (anyone under 18 years old), including, but not limited to: name, email address, home address, phone number, or the name of their school.
- ades anyone's privacy by attempting to harvest, collect, store, or publish private or personally identifiable information, such as passwords, account information, credit card numbers, addresses, or other contact information without their knowledge and willing consent.
- is illegal or violates any applicable local and national laws; including but not limited to child pornography, bestiality, incest, illegal drugs, software piracy, and harassment.
- threatens, stalks, defames, defrauds, degrades, victimizes or intimidates an individual or group of individuals for any reason; including on the basis of age, gender, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation, race or religion; or incites or encourages anyone else to do so.
- harms or disrupts, or intends to harm or disrupt, another user's computer or would allow you or others to illegally access software or bypass security on Web sites, or servers, including but not limited to spamming.
- attempts to impersonate a Microsoft employee, agent, manager, host, administrator, moderator, another user or any other person through any means.
- promotes or otherwise facilitates the purchase and sale of ammunition or firearms.
- contains or could be considered 'junk mail', 'spam', 'chain letters', 'pyramid schemes', 'affiliate marketing' or unsolicited commercial advertisement.
- mischaracterizes content you post or upload or contains the same or similar content to other content you have already posted.
- attempts to manipulate the services, including ranking and reputation systems in the services, by violating any of the provisions of this Agreement, colluding with others on voting or using multiple profiles.
- offers to make international money transfers for amounts exceeding the asking price of an item, with intent to request a refund of any portion of the payment.
- contains advertising for money making schemes, discount cards, credit counseling, online surveys or online contests.
We encourage you to not share information that others could use to harm you. We encourage parents to be aware of and help exercise control over content posted by and activities of their children to keep them safe online.
Microsoft is not responsible for the content of any user-created posting, listing or message. The decision to view content or engage with others is yours. We advise you to use your judgment.
9. Links to Third-party Web Sites .
The service may contain links to third-party Web sites. These third-party Web sites are not under Microsoft's control. If Microsoft has included these links in the service, we provide them to you as a convenience only. The inclusion of these links is not an endorsement by Microsoft of any third-party Web site, service or product. Microsoft reserves the right to disable links to any third-party Web site that you or other customers post on the service.
In order to operate and provide the service, we collect certain information about you. As part of the service, we may also automatically upload information about your machine, your use of the service and service performance. We use and protect that information as described in the So.cl Privacy Statement (http://www.so.cl/app/privacy). You understand that your use of the service constitutes consent to the collection, use and disclosure of information, including without limitation information related to the video materials you have searched for, clicked on, tagged, posted to a Video Party or viewed, as described in the So.cl Privacy Statement. In particular, we may access or disclose information about you, including the content of your communications, in order to: (a) comply with the law or respond to lawful requests or legal process; (b) protect the rights or property of Microsoft or our customers, including the enforcement of our agreements or policies governing your use of the service; or (c) act on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers or the public
The service is a private computer network that Microsoft operates for the benefit of itself and its customers. Microsoft retains the right to block or otherwise prevent delivery of any type of email or other communication to or from the service as part of our efforts to protect the service, protect our customers or stop you from breaching this contract. The technology or other means we use may hinder or break your use of the service.
If you give us feedback, you give Microsoft, without charge, the right to use, share and commercialize your feedback in any way and for any purpose. You also give to third parties, without charge, any patent rights needed for their products, technologies and services to use or interface with any specific parts of a Microsoft site, software or service that includes the feedback. You will not give feedback that is subject to a license that requires Microsoft to license its software or documentation to third parties because we include your feedback in them. These rights survive this contract.
12. Our Notices to You; Your Notices to Us
This contract is in electronic form. We have the right to send you information about the services in electronic form. There may be information about the services that the law requires us to send to you. We may send this information to you in electronic form.
We may provide required information to you
- by e-mail at the e-mail address you specified when you signed up for the service, or
- by access to a Microsoft web site that will be designated in an e-mail notice sent to you at the time the information is available; or
- by access to a Microsoft web site that will be generally designated in advance for this purpose.
13. No Warranty
We provide the service "as-is," "with all faults" and "as available." Microsoft makes no guarantee about the reliability, accuracy or timeliness of information available from the service
We and our affiliates, resellers, distributors and vendors (collectively, the "Microsoft Parties") give no express warranties, guarantees or conditions. You bear the risk of using it. You may have additional consumer rights under your local laws that this contract cannot change. We exclude any implied warranties or conditions including those of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, workmanlike effort, and non-infringement.
14. Liability Limitation
Microsoft will not be liable to you for any damages related to the services, including direct, consequential, lost profits, special, indirect or incidental damages, to the maximum extent the law permits.
This limitation applies to anything related to:
- the service,
- content (including code) on third party Internet sites, third party programs or third party conduct,
- viruses or other disabling features that affect your access to or use of the service,
- incompatibility between the service and other services, software and hardware,
- delays or failures you may have in initiating, conducting or completing any transmissions or transactions in connection with the service in an accurate or timely manner, and
- claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, guarantee or condition, strict liability, negligence, or other tort.
- this remedy does not fully compensate you for any losses, or fails of its essential purpose, or
- Microsoft knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages.
15. Applicable Law and Place for Resolving Disputes
Washington state law governs the interpretation of this contract and applies to claims for breach of it, regardless of conflict of laws principles. All other claims, including claims regarding consumer protection laws, unfair competition laws, and in tort, will be subject to the laws of your state of residence in the United States, or if you live outside the United States, the laws of the country to which we direct your service. You and we irrevocably consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state or federal courts in King County, Washington, USA for all disputes arising out of or relating to this contract.
16. Contract Interpretation
All parts of this contract apply to the maximum extent permitted by law. A court may hold that we cannot enforce a part of this contract as written. If this happens, then that part will be replaced with terms that most closely match the intent of the part that we cannot enforce. The rest of this contract will not change. This contract, together with any codes of conduct and other notices we provide, is the entire contract between Microsoft and you regarding the service. It supersedes any other contract or statements related to the service. If you have confidentiality obligations related to the service, those obligations remain in force (for example, you may have been a tester for a pre-release version of a service). The section titles in the contract do not limit the other terms of this contract.
Microsoft may assign this contract, in whole or part, at any time without notice to you. You may not assign this contract, or any part of it, to any other party. Any attempt to do so is void. You may not transfer to anyone else, either temporarily or permanently, any rights to use the service or any part of the service.
18. Force Majeure
Microsoft will not be liable for any loss or damage or be deemed to be in breach of this contract due to any event or circumstance beyond its reasonable control, including, war, invasion, electrical shortages, terrorist attacks, earthquakes or acts of God.
All contents of the service are Copyright © 2011 Microsoft Corporation and/or its suppliers, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, Washington 98052-6399 U.S.A. All rights reserved.
Please respect the rights of artists and creators. Content such as music, photos and video may be protected by copyright. People appearing in content may have a right to control use of their image. You may not share other people's content unless you own the rights, have permission from the owner, or such sharing is otherwise legal.
Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation. Trademark information is available at http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/intellectualproperty/trademarks/default.mspx . Any rights not expressly granted are reserved.
Notices and Procedures for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement
Under Title 17, United States Code, Section 512 (c ) (2), notifications of claimed copyright infringement should be sent to our Designated Agent. All inquiries not relevant to the following procedure will not receive a response. See Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement. See Notice and Procedure for Making Claims of Copyright Infringement at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyrtInfrg.htm
Unsolicited Idea Submission Policy
MICROSOFT OR ANY OF ITS EMPLOYEES DO NOT ACCEPT OR CONSIDER UNSOLICITED IDEAS, INCLUDING IDEAS FOR NEW ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS, NEW PROMOTIONS, NEW MERCHANDISE OR TECHNOLOGIES, PROCESSES, MATERIALS, MARKETING PLANS, OR NEW MERCHANDISE NAMES. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY ORIGINAL CREATIVE ARTWORK, SAMPLES, DEMOS, OR OTHER WORKS. THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS POLICY IS TO AVOID POTENTIAL MISUNDERSTANDINGS OR DISPUTES WHEN MICROSOFT'S MERCHANDISE OR MARKETING STRATEGIES MIGHT SEEM SIMILAR TO IDEAS SUBMITTED TO MICROSOFT. SO, PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR UNSOLICITED IDEAS TO MICROSOFT OR ANYONE AT MICROSOFT. IF, DESPITE OUR REQUEST THAT YOU NOT SEND US YOUR IDEAS AND MATERIALS, YOU STILL SEND THEM, PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT MICROSOFT MAKES NO ASSURANCES THAT YOUR IDEAS AND MATERIALS WILL BE TREATED AS CONFIDENTIAL OR PROPRIETARY.
Customer support is not offered for the service, unless provided otherwise in this contract or the materials we publish in connection with a particular service specify that it includes customer support.