Saturday, June 11, 2011

Women and shoes at macy's

They sell women's shoes at the fifth floor at Macy's. I saw quite a few ugly feet and some really beautiful feet here but I digress. The reason I am writing this expose is that it seems like this place seems to be a good place to study women's buying habits. Women make up half the population of the world and with time, their discretionary spending will only increase with their overall spending. To be successful at selling pretty much anything, you have to appeal to kids and you have to appeal to women. Micky D (seventh floor at Macy's) has the kids covered. If you want to learn how to sell to children, just learn how and what the golden arches does at its franchises. However, women are a bit more complex. 

Women love to shop around. They seem to like going through every single option. They want to look their best and if the fifty-seventh pair that they try on looks OK, maybe the fifty-eighth pair will help them look even better. I am not trying to look down on women but it seems that when it comes to shopping, women like leaving no stone unturned. Of course, this could be very true for some men and very untrue for some women. We are not trying to include the whole population sample. Rather, we are just looking at overall trends. 

So ladies, put down that phone. Do not even think about calling that slimy old lawyer to see if you can sue me for discrimination. You can not. trust me. Besides, you don't want the extra wrinkles under your beautiful brown eyes from all the stress of suing me, right? Of course, I think you're beautiful. Would you please go get me a sandwich? Thanks, honey. You are such a sweetheart. 

Is she gone? Good, now that the women are gone, here is the straight talk. This is totally wrong to write something bad about women. But I am not calling names to individual women. I am not saying that Sarah Palin is a conniving whore or that I'd rather be raped in the butt than see Hillary Clinton naked, or ... well, you get the idea. What I am talking about are trends, general trends. This is a supposed to be a scientific study and gender is just a parameter here. 

Note to self: If I ever open a really giant women's shoe store (a Victoria's secrets for shoes almost), I need to make sure I put a few shoes by some loony Italian designer and mark it up really high. This will ensure that the rest of the store seems decently price by comparison. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind.