Saturday, January 14, 2012

Ads not by facebook: Your device might be compromised

If you see ads on facebook that have the disclaimer "ads not by facebook" or just advertisements that seem to be in places other than where facebook ads usually are, it might be a sign that your computer is compromised. 

I do not know exactly what caused it in this case but from the number of hits this term generates (About 766 results as of this writing) on Google web search, not many people notice this as a problem at all. 

I will report back when I have more to share about this issue. Keep your eyes open and be secure on the web. Knowledge is your friend. 

2 comments:

  1. I was baffled by this issue and came across this post today. An AVG scan detected "crossrider.exe" as a threat. I did a bit of research and didn't seem to need that program, so I removed it from the Control Panel, restarted my computer and the issue seems to have gone away. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting... so just uninstalling crossrider was enough for you? Others don't seem to be so lucky. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111026194321AA56b37

      What is cross rider anyways? Any ideas how you got it?

      Delete

Please be kind.